04/06/2019 0 Comments
Unpleasant fridge odours: how to get rid of them and prevent them from coming back
Are you hit with a foul smell every time you open your fridge? If so, it’s time to mount a counter-attack. In this article, Ateliers G. Paquette — your experts in home appliance repair and leading supplier of parts — gives you some tips for getting rid of the unpleasant odours coming from your fridge.
How to deep clean of your fridgeYou should clean your fridge from top to bottom at least twice a year. Here are the seven steps to follow.
- Unplug the fridge.
- Throw out all expired foods and store the remaining items in a cooler. Be sure to wipe down any jars or other containers that are sticky or greasy.
- Wash all removeable parts in hot and soapy water.
- Clean the inside of the fridge: thoroughly scrub the shelves and walls with a non-toxic cleaning product.
- Track down the source of the unpleasant smell and remedy the problem. Keep in mind that the smell could be coming from outside the fridge, for example in the evaporator coil, located on the back of the fridge or across the bottom. Food or liquid can sometimes find its way into this component.
- Plug in your fridge.
- Wait an hour before putting the food back in.
How to get rid of odours in your fridge
If the unpleasant smell persists after you’ve cleaned your fridge, you can try solving the problem by keeping an odour-neutralizing product in it. Baking soda is the classic solution, but there are several other natural products that work just as well. Odour-neutralizing products include vinegar, lemon juice, corks, dry oatmeal and coffee grounds. Each of these can be stored in an open container and will need to be replaced every two to four weeks, or when they’re no longer doing the trick.
How to keep your fridge smelling fresh
To avoid having to fight off foul fridge odours, use these tips:
- Wipe down the inner walls once a month.
- Clean up spills as soon as you notice them.
- Get rid of mouldy or expired food right away.
- Use sealed containers, especially for strong-smelling products.
- Put down paper towels in the drawers.
Do you need replacement parts for your fridge or a repair ? The certified technicians at Ateliers G. Paquette are pleased to serve you across Quebec. Give us a call or fill out our online form to order replacement parts.